Hyperthyroidism in Your Cat
Hyperthyroidism is very common with middle-aged and older felines; in fact, it has become one of the most common ailments that vets see in cats. It results when the thyroid gland (located near the cat's windpipe) produces too much thyroid hormone.
Hyperthyroid pets often lose weight, have increased or decreased appetites, and become nervous, irritable and vocal. For several days, they may be hyperactive and have a rapid heart beat, then lethargic, apathetic and uninterested in food, play or grooming. Unfortunately thyroid imbalances are extremely common in cats, the biggest one being hyperthyroidism.
Symptoms of feline hyperthyroidism:
- Weight loss
- Poor coat quality
- Increased appetite
- Increased water intake
- Increased urine output
- Occasional vomiting or diarrhea
- Hyperactivity, irritability, increased yowling
If you suspect your cat has an overactive thyroid, you should consult your vet.
Western Medicine and Hyperthyroidism in Felines
- The conventional treatment is an oral or transdermal medication given daily, prescribed by a veterinarian. Side effects may include loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting, liver toxicity, and skin disease. Cats allergic to sulfonamides most likely will not tolerate conventional hyperthyroid medication. (Thyroid Support Gold should not be taken when using conventional hyperthyroid medication.)
- Some felines have their enlarged thyroid removed surgically, which requires anesthesia. Cats with high thyroid levels may first have to become stabilized on medication before surgery. If surgery is elected you may consider radio nucleotide imaging; it can add to the expense but it can also prevent missing abnormal thyroid tissue or it can help prevent removing healthy parathyroid tissue by mistake. Surgery is expensive and is not 100% successful. Anesthesia may be risky in unhealthy patients.
- Radioactive iodine treatment is the most costly treatment and involves 3-7 days of hospital isolation (although anesthesia is not required). Unfortunately it is not uncommon for the treatment to have to be repeated as the procedure is not 100% successful and an abnormal thyroid gland tumour can return.
What is Thyroid Support Gold?
Thyroid Support Gold is a natural supplement designed to give gentle support to a feline's thyroid gland. The principal herbs in this formula specifically address thyroid hormones. The adjunct herbs support other parts of the body that can be affected by thyroid hormones: heart function and the nervous system (including activity levels and sleep). There is also some naturally-occurring vitamin C (from Amla) that provides support for the thyroid and immune system.
What is Thyroid Support Gold Used For?
Our holistic veterinarian created the ideal balance of complementary botanical ingredients to maintain long-term, normal function of the thyroid gland. Specifically, Thyroid Support Gold works to sustain the normal equilibrium of metabolism. When the metabolism is affected by the thyroid hormones, it will influence the appetite, thirst and body weight. Skin and coat are affected as well. Normal thyroid hormone levels and a healthy metabolic rate can significantly contribute to the comfort and wellness of your cat for a better quality of life.
The action of thyroid hormones indirectly affect the heart rate, force of the heartbeat and affect the level of nervousness in the body. For this reason, Thyroid Support Gold has been formulated to support a feline's entire body as it relates to thyroid function. Herbs for healthy function of the heart muscle, heart rate and a normally calm temperament are part of what makes Thyroid Support Gold a comprehensive and effective formula.
The action of Thyroid Support Gold is effective yet works gently. Supporting your cat's hormone levels requires a long-term outlook. Please expect that natural supplements for supporting normal thyroid function are going to work gradually over several weeks before you can expect evidence of the results.
A note from our veterinarian...
Hyperthyroidism is not uncommon in cats, usually older cats. The increased metabolism caused by excess thyroid hormones means that your cat loses weight while having an increase (or decrease) in appetite and excessive thirst. Your cat may also appear agitated, hyper and nervous (or lethargic) with dry, lustreless hair and thickened nails. Diarrhea and vomiting can also be present. Your cat may show signs of heat intolerance by seeking cool places. Irregularities to the eyes and retina can develop. Sometimes, cat hyperthyroidism can be caused by a growth on the thyroid gland, either benign or malignant. A thorough check from a veterinarian can determine whether your cat’s hyperthyroidism is tumour-related and direct you to the best course of treatment if it is.
Healthy Tip: Combine Thyroid Support Gold with Milk Thistle for support of hyperthyroid (hypermetabolic) conditions. The support for the liver provided by Milk Thistle, when liver enzymes are elevated on blood panels, is very important and can support nutritionally and phytochemically. If intervention with natural products like these is taken early on, the progression of hypermetabolism can be diminished.
Does it Come With a Guarantee?
Yes! Thyroid Support Gold comes with a 90-day, money-back guarantee.
Why Choose Thyroid Support Gold for Your Feline?
- Certified organic and selectively imported: This formula is entirely prepared from organically grown and selectively imported herbs.
- Good Manufacturing Practices: All of our formulas are manufactured in a facility that adheres to Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Full Sprectrum Extract: The full biochemical spectrum of the herbs is preserved to ensure the potency of the extract. All raw materials are tested for identification and purity.
- Every batch tested: Every batch of our Thyroid Support Gold is tested to ensure the highest quality and potency. Every single batch.
- FDA-Registered Facility: Our manufacturing facility is FDA-registered. Strict quality control procedures are meticulously monitored.
- FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine Guidelines: PetWellbeing.com complies with the provisions of the CVM's good guidance practices for pet dietary supplements. All ingredients and caution statements adhere to these national guidelines.
- It's Guaranteed: In addition to the superior quality of our products, you are also protected by our 90-day, money-back guarantee.
Who Makes Thyroid Support Gold?
Thyroid Support Gold is made by PetWellbeing.com, founded in 2001. Our goal? To bring the wisdom and experience of our caring holistic veterinarians to your pet. When your pet is healthy, you're happy.
To fulfill our vision, our on-staff, holistic veterinarians have developed formulas using time-honored, traditional uses of herbs, and integrated the latest scientific research. It is our aim to produce the best products for your pet that we can.
Administer Thyroid Support Gold twice daily:
- Under 30 lb: Give one drop per 2 lb (1 kg) of body weight
Shake well before use. Does not require refrigeration.
BEST way to give drops: Add drops to a small portion of a favorite food or treat and ensure the entire amount is consumed. Thyroid Support Gold is enhanced with delicious, natural bacon flavor. We recommend administration of the drops in a way that your cat will like best.
- Do not use with hypothyroidism (low thyroid function).
- Do not use with drugs prescribed to treat hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid function).
- Safe use in pregnant animals or animals intended for breeding has not been proven.
- If animal's condition worsens or does not improve, stop product administration and consult your veterinarian.
- An examination from a veterinarian is recommended prior to using this product.
- Not for human consumption. Keep out of reach of children and animals. In case of accidental overdose, contact a health professional immediately.
Thyroid Support Gold is Formulated With:
- Bugleweed herb (Lycopus virginicus): Bugleweed is extensively used in herbal medicine to maintain thyroid function. Its action is considered “amphoteric”, meaning it has the ability to support a balance of normal thyroid hormone levels, rather than cause more or less hormone function.
- Lemon Balm herb (Melissa officinalis): Lemon Balm has been shown to help maintain a normal range of thyroid hormones and overall thyroid function. Additionally, it is an herb that supports a more relaxed nervous system.
- Rehmannia root (Rehmannia glutinosa): In energetic terms of Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine, this formula requires "Yin tonic" herbs to help with clinical symptoms, making it more balanced for long-term administration.
- Bupleurum root (Bupleurum spp.): An overactive thyroid condition is characterized in TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) as Yin Deficiency. Both Rehmannia and Bupleurum roots provide tonic qualities for Yin Deficiency, making the formula more appropriate for long-term administration.
- Motherwort herb (Leonurus cardiaca): Motherwort is used for its dual action to support both the heart and the nervous system. It contributes to a general feeling of calmness and can also help to maintain restful sleep.
- Skullcap herb (Scutellaria lateriflora): Supportive to the nervous system and maintaining regular, calm temperament and restful sleep, Skullcap is considered useful for the nervous system and supporting healthy blood pressure as well.
- Heal All fruit spike (Prunella vulgaris): Also called Self Heal, this small herb is used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for conditions of “Yin deficiency” and commonly used for gently supporting the thyroid. Although grown widely in North America, Heal All’s specific use in this formula comes from the way it is studied and used in the east where it is called Xie Ku Cao.
- Amalaki (Amla) fruit (Phyllanthus officinalis): The fruit of this Asian tree contributes high levels of naturally-occurring Vitamin C, a vitamin necessary for healthy thyroid function.
... 467 mg per ml (20 drops/ml)
Herbs are certified organic or selectively imported.
Inactive ingredients: Deionized water, natural bacon flavor, vegetable glycerin
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.
- Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device